This repeats some of the exercises mentioned in the video-Bob & Brad Stretching Program for Hip Pain (Based on the McKenzie Approach). We recommend you perform these exercises 6-8 times a day, so you are off to a good start when you begin exercising in bed.
1. Trunk Rotations- this is an excellent warmup exercise that prepares the hip groups for stretches.
2. Hip Flexor Stretch (with a strap if needed). Hip flexor stretch lying on a bed alternative. Scoot your body to the right edge of the bed and lower your right leg off the bed. Bend the left leg up to your chest and hold it in place with your hands or with a strap. See Photo. Feel the stretch in your right hip flexors. Over time increase the stretch by actively attempting to extend the right leg to the floor. Repeat with the left leg.
3. Hip Bends. Lying in bed. The hip bends can be performed while lying on your back in bed. Clasp the right knee just below the knee joint or under your thigh. Use a strap, belt, or rolled sheet if unable to reach. Flex the knee toward your chest and stretch the hip while saying the words “pressure on” and then release the stretch while saying “pressure off. Repeat 5 to 10x.
4. Figure 4 Stretch. Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the bed. Place the ankle of the right leg on the left thigh just above the knee. Take the right hand and use it to apply stretch to the right leg. Press knee toward feet. Do as tightness or pain allows. Press while saying the words, “pressure on”, then release while saying “pressure off”. Apply the pressure 5-10x. Repeat throughout the day 4-6x (roughly every two hours). Repeat with left leg.
5. Hip Internal Rotation: Start with the left leg. Lie on your back. The left knee should be bent and the left foot flat on the bed. Take the right leg and use the right ankle and foot to bend the left knee down to the right (or toward the right leg). Repeat 5-10x. Also, stretch the right leg (hip). Lie on your back. The right knee should be bent and the right foot flat on the bed. Take the left leg and use the left ankle and foot to bend the right knee down to the left (or toward the left leg). (5-10x)
Check out the full Hip Pain Relief Program series of videos along with downloadable guide sheets for each video on our website here: https://www.bobandbrad.com/health-programs/hip-pain-relief-program