We have found massage guns to be highly effective in treating muscle soreness, muscle knots, muscle tightness, muscle strain, and tendonitis. They can also aid in muscle healing and recovery.
However, there are a lot of models to choose from and it can be quite confusing. These are some of the features we would keep in mind when choosing a massage gun. In our opinion:
1. MASSAGE GUN POWER - when we refer to power, we are referring to three things:
A. Massage gun head translation: How much amplitude or to what depth does the head of the massager move. If you are a smaller person with a slender build, you may want a device that does not go as deep. Now if you are a large person with abundant muscles, you may want a heavy-duty massager that has lots of amplitude.
B. Speed: Most guns have 2-5 variable speeds, and the speed will often dictate the comfort of the massage. Some like it slower and gentler. Others prefer the gun to be aggressive.
C. Stall force: The amount of force that can be applied to the motor before it stalls out. Again, a smaller person with a slighter build probably does not require as much stall force. Larger, more muscular individuals who are more apt to use on larger muscles (quads, hamstrings, buttocks), should purchase a unit with a larger stall force.
2. PRICE- When massage guns first came out, they were awfully expensive. In fact, we refused to review them on our channel because we felt they were beyond the means of a lot of our subscribers. The price has since been reduced to a more reasonable level. Price can vary widely depending on which features you find important. Unfortunately, a higher price does not equate to higher quality. Buyer beware. Also, it goes without saying, one should always look for a coupon or a sale (they are quite often available).
3. RELIABILITY/WARRANTY- Some massagers start off great and end up not working in a few weeks. Even some of the more expensive units. Look for a company with a good reputation and a one-year warranty.
4. DIFFERENT ATTACHMENTS OR HEADS- Most of the massage units come with 3-5 different heads. Personally, we like the units that have at least one attachment that is air-filled or a softer rubber (a nice attachment for massaging around bones). We also like the ball-like attachment for cross-fiber massage (going across the muscle fibers). Finally, a more pointed attachment is nice for treating knots or trigger points.
5. PORTABILITY- Many massagers come with a case. They come in handy in carrying the additional attachments and charger. Some guns are just notably smaller and easy to carry in a purse, bag, or even pocket. Some of the larger units can not only be a burden to carry but use as well.
6. DESIGN- Designs of massage guns and handheld massagers vary widely and should fit your need. If you want to be able to reach your back, a unit with a longer handle may be appropriate (however you may sacrifice some power). Again, larger units may have more power, but be more difficult to use.
7. BATTER LIFE- Most massage guns and handheld massagers are cordless and use a Lithium-ion battery. From reports, many massage gun batteries have a 2–3-hour life. Some massage guns turn off after 10 minutes automatically to avoid overuse on a body part. However, they can usually be restarted immediately.
8. SOUND- Some of the initial massage guns were extremely loud. Read the reviews to determine if your unit will be acceptably quiet.
This video is part of a series of videos on how to treat your pain with self-massage. Check the full series of videos along with the downloadable guide sheets for each video on our website here: https://www.bobandbrad.com/massage/
Bob & Brad's Massage Guns
Medical Disclaimer All information, content, and material on this website is for informational purposes only and are not intended to serve as a substitute for the consultation, diagnosis, and/or medical treatment of a qualified physician or healthcare provider.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Keep in mind that we may receive commissions when you click our links and make purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We are highly selective in our products and try our best to keep things fair and balanced in order to help you make the best choice for you.